Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ireland

So before leaving the campus for Paris on Thursday, I managed to lose both my student ID and restaurant card, so I had to go hungry and have Gabor open the gate for me (it opens with the card). I met Tom at St. Michel, had a cafe and went to m eet his friend Eamon where we were supposed to sleep, get up at 5 and get a bus at 6am from Porte Maillot to Beauvais airport. This simple plan was easily shattered by an invitation to a party of science-po people in someone's appartment. The appartment ended up being the whole floor of a very old Paris buliding, very chic. The people there were quite interesting even though we didn't know anyone before, food and wine excellent...We stayed untill 4am:-)
Back at Eamon's we set 3 alarms, but they all failed to wake us up, we woke up at 7. Having missed the bus, we had to take a taxi. 130EUR. Ouch. Very ouch. But in the end it wasnt that bad, the whole trip (plane there and back +taxi) cost the same as flying Paris-Prague-Paris. That's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it:-)
Let me say that Beauvais is a joke, a lame excuse for an airport. It's in the middle of nowhere 70km outside Paris. First they didn't want to let me board the plane because Slovakia wasn't on their list of visa-free countries. Idiots. Then they made us wait in a big tent until the plane arrived,  then we had to walk all the way to the plane...Never ever go to Beauvais, Orly is well worth the extra 50EUR, especially when the bus to Beauvais and back costs 26EUR.
We arrived in Dublin half an hour after liftoff , due to time change;-) As I was stepping out of the plain, I got a real hard and wet slap to my right cheek by the typical Irish weather. This was going to be fun:-(

No comments: