Sunday, February 26, 2006

First days

Friday night was a small get-together party in a snail-shaped church/chapel here on campus. It was my first time getting drunk in a holy place, surround by books like "Catechisme":-) There were around 15-16 of us, everyone brought their local alcohol and there were some refreshments. I didn't get a chance to talk to everybody, but the one's I did talk to seemed like ok people. There's Igor, a Spanish speaking Japanese guy from Brazil guy; two girls from London one of whom is Kate(I think); there's Gabor and Ditta from Hungary, Kay and two girls from Norway and...I'm terrible wwith names. There's thos guy Tom from Dublin who I think I'll be good friends with, he's got my sense of humor and is relaxed and easy-going...

Yesterday I went on a little sightseeing trip with Honza's parents and his brother. They are a family straight out of a Czech movie. Dad is a bussiness-man with a typical sense of humor, mom is always worried and the son is bored:-) They were very nice to me, didn't let me pay for meals, so I'm going to pay for Honza's beers I guess:-) We strolled around Pigalle and Montmarte and then around Champs-Elysees and La Defense. I've never been to La Defense before and was impressed, it's a very nice business-centre, and the Grande Arche is really amazing. Too bad the weather was crap so I couldn't take better pictures. We came back after getting a bit lost in Versailles at around 9 (I think), had dinner at a achinese restauarant (ever eaten frog legs in a chinese restaurant??:-). At around midnight my friend Tom called, and we had some drinks in Sonia's place with Christoph (a crazy German studying in Ireland) and another French guy whose name I don't remember. We tried to watch a movie, Domino, but since the sound quality was bad and it was getting close to 5 a.m., we fell asleep before the first half of the movie was over.

I woke up at noon today to get lunch in the cafeteria. There's a nice choice of all kinds of stuff to eat (including avocado with shrimp, yum) and you don't pay too much; in fact it's really cheap for France. I still wish I could cook somewhere! There's nothing like enjoying your own pasta in your room, watching a movie:-)
I think I'm just going to relax today, maybe meet the Norwegians in the afternoon, sleep a little and get my room organized (you can imagine it's a mess already:-)

Hasta la vista

2 comments:

miskousko said...

Two girls from Norway?? ;-)

Well, here in Lyon for this term we haven't received any Norwegians (only two Finnish girls). But for what I have heard about girls from Norway I am quite jealous and already preparing to visit you at your parties-in-campus-chapel!

Questions:
1.Who is Honza?
2.You really don't have any kitchens at dormitory? I cook 95% of my dinners here.. French dining is delicate but terribly expensive comparing to what we are used in Czech/Slovakia :)

Empty said...

No, no cooking facilities whatsoever. Quite sad, but one can always buy his own...Plus the meals are like 2.85, soup, salad, cheese, bread, main meal, dessert, yoghurt....good enough.